Friday 1 April 2016

Modern Times

I was getting ready to go to office as usual.  I had put on my maroon shirt and black pant   As soon as I put on my black shoes, my son Rohan remarked, "Oh dad, the shirt and pant do not match.  How can you put on a black pant with a maroon shirt?"  I had never realized that my children were getting older and becoming fashion conscious and in fact were imposing their ideas on me and my wife, Pranita.  "But this is what I usually wear and have been doing it for a long time," I replied.  "I agree dad, but times are changing now and you must dress up like most others do.  It was a different story when you were young.  In your times, perhaps fashion may have not been an in-thing.  Now, people will laugh at you being dressed up awkwardly."  He insisted that I change my blank pant and instead put on some light colored one.  I had no other option but to follow his directives.  When I was finally ready, he said with a beaming face, "there you're, now you look like an executive.  I'm sure today your office watchman will be happy to see you dressed so smartly and will salute you twice."

The same thing was happening with my wife.  The other day, we both were getting ready to go to a party.  As it was mid December and the weather during that period of time in Mumbai is quite pleasant, but not very cold, she had put on a full sleeve navy blue colored top and a light blue colored trousers.  Seeing this my 21-year-old daughter, Rohini, at once got annoyed.  "What's this mumma, is this the way to dress?  You are going to a party and not to any park.  Either you change your top or your trousers.  How can you wear both of the same color?  Change it to some thing contrasting."  So she went inside and came with a black top on.  "That's better," my daughter remarked.  When Pranita started wearing her usual sandals, Rohini  ordered.  "Not those sandals, mumma" and off she went inside to get her own golden colored ones and asked Pranita to try.  "Perfect," she said feeling happy.

When they were kids, it was our responsibility to teach them the good things and the bad things, the do's and dont's, but slowly and surely they were becoming our teachers.  They were telling us what to wear, where to go, when and what to talk and with whom, etc. etc.  It used to be annoying earlier, but now the feeling was creeping in that in a way its good.  They now can understand their responsibilities, can differentiate what's good and what's not.  As time goes on, they are becoming our parents instead of we being their's.  Feeling satisfied with the level of maturity they had achieved, I left for office in the getup advised by my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment