Thursday 1 December 2016

Generation Gap

"Did you talk to her?"  "Not yet, will do it later, waiting for the opportune time.  She has just resigned from her job since she was fed up with her superiors and is presently busy finding another one.  Let her relax.  Nowadays she has become quite agitated and gets irritated easily.  I am waiting for things to cool down a bit."  "She likes me, no doubt, but in what way?  She knows I am your friend and her best pal, but nothing beyond that," quoted Viraj bluntly which confused Malini. "Piya is no longer a kid not to understand relations.  She will take time to adjust with me.  She is mature enough to differentiate between the good and the bad.  It'll be long enough before she accepts me.  Give it a deep thought before you talk to her."  "Agreed, but she must also understand our position."  "Not at all madam, we can't impose our hopes and desires on her.  That will take us nowhere and will be injustice to her.  She's young and her life has just started while we are in our golden years.  We can lead the rest of our lives alone, but can't expect the same for her.  She's got a long way to go.  Her happiness is paramount."  "I want to talk to you" Malini told Piya one evening while handing over a cup of tea to her.  "I know what you are going to talk about.  You want me to help you in the bookshop instead of searching for another job.  But you got Viraj uncle to help you in the shop, isn't it? He keeps writing on strange topics.  God knows from where he gets such weird books.   I think he is a genius person."

"Piya, you are no less a prodigy.  You click wonderful photographs.  They are being talked about everywhere.  I would suggest you make your passion your profession."  "Not at all, Viraj uncle.  I am not much of an expert.  I do it for fun and enjoyment, but one day I will definitely put up an exhibition of my photographs.  Please, don't pressurise me to work in the bookshop.  I am not much interested in it."  "I want to talk to you about something else," said Malini.  "Not now, may be later.  I am going out with my friends, will return late in the night.  Have your dinner and go to bed.  I will be eating out."  "Oh no! It's impossible to talk to this girl."  "Don't worry my dear, everything will be alright," saying this Viraj hugged Malini.  They were engrossed in each other that they hardly noticed Piya come back to get her cell phone.  They both were startled on hearing noise coming from the other room.  They saw Piya was angry for some reason.  "How can you do this mom?  I saw you hugging Viraj uncle.  You can't betray dad like this.  You've cheated him.  I have loved my dad all my life.  And Viraj uncle, I consider you as my best friend, best pal;  But this was too much.  I'm really very much angry."  "Listen my dear."  "I don't want to listen to anybody.  Viraj uncle, please leave.  I want to talk to my mom in private."  "Piya, behave yourself.  Talk to him politely.  He's one of us and not a stranger." "Relax Malini, I am leaving.  Please take good care of Piya."

"Piya, my dear, I have never cheated your dad.  In fact, I still love him much more than perhaps you do.  We lost him more than 15 years ago.  I have brought you up single-handedly after he left us.  Many persons told me to remarry, but my only focus was you and nothing else mattered to me.  You were the only one who could keep me busy and not let me feel lonely or miss him.  But when you yourself became an adult and started working and began staying away from me, I started feeling lonely.  That's when Viraj came into my life.  I thought he was a person with whom I could share my joys and sorrows.  In fact he is also a widower.  He lost his wife and only daughter in a car accident.  Since the time we met more than three years ago, we have been enjoying each other's company."  "Mumma, I don't know whether this is just a friendship, love or physical attraction, but I will never consider him to be my dad."  "Stop it Piya, just stop it!!  I had thought my darling daughter may now have matured enough to understand my position, but I think I was wrong.  But anyway, I wont go against your wishes."

Next day, Malini went to Viraj's place and cried inconsolably.  "Malini, don't misunderstand Piya.  Everyone thinks in his or her own way and develops some principles.  A mature person would not normally like to change way of thinking or principles.  It only happens when the situation is very demanding.  For example, if we have to host a guest for a day or two, our daily routine gets disturbed.  Its the same way.  Before we met, you and Piya were in a different comfort zone, but after I stepped in into your life, that comfort got disturbed which Piya is not able to adjust to and her reaction to the situation is just like a mini-revolt.  Until now she has been open with you, has been using your things as if they were her own, but now she can't do all that openly.  She has to think twice before doing any such thing.  Don't misunderstand her.  This generation has got a world of its own.  They are more materialistic and very sensitive.  Their tolerance level is very low and they give very less importance to relations.  They are ready for an argument at the drop of a hat.  She is not selfish, only that she is not ready to consider any other man in place of her father.  It's obvious for any kid who has lost the love of a father in early childhood.  In fact I would suggest we should stop meeting for a few days.

From that day onwards, Piya and Malini were almost not on talking terms.  While Malini had cooled down quickly, but it took Piya a long time to come to terms with the situation.  She was not ready to accept that her mother was seeing someone else.  She loved her dad too much, much beyond anything.  She was not ready to accept anyone to replace him.  On the other hand, Malini had spent her life looking after her only daughter.  Her world revolved around Piya and nothing else mattered to her.  But very soon, Piya realized that her mother was feeling alone and it was okay for Viraj uncle to be with her.  Even Piya's boyfriend was inline with this fact.  And why not, after one loses one's companion so suddenly and early in life, someone has to fill in the void.  Her boyfriend also tried to convince her to accept this fact.  She had planned on fixing a meeting of her boyfriend, Manav, with her mom, but the new turn of events changed everything.

The next day Piya went to Viraj's place and waited for the door to be opened.  "How are you my dear?"  At once Piya hugged him and began sobbing.  "That's okay my dear.  I can very well understand your situation.  I will be with you whenever you need me, just relax."

No comments:

Post a Comment