Wednesday 3 January 2024

"Where are you going dear?" Minakshi's mother-in-law asked her as she picked up the keys for her two-wheeler.  "To my mom's place," she answered.  "But you'd been there just two days ago, isn't it?" "Yes, but daddy is not keeping well.  I need to take him to the doctor." "Oh my God, now this has become a daily affair.  Every now and then you are coming up with some excuse to go to your parents' house," her mother-in-law remarked sarcastically.  "We are now repenting getting our son married to a single girl child of her parents.  We had assumed an only child of her parents would be an asset and anybody would be ready to marry such a girl."  "When they cannot manage without their daughter, why did they got her married in the first place?"  This infuriated Minakshi to no end.  "You all knew that I am the only child of my parents.  You think you have done a favor on me by getting your son married to me? Haven't you got an educated daughter-in-law in your house now?"  "Oh my God, now she's showing off her smartness of being an earning member of the family," the elderly lady remarked.

Her mother-in-law called out her husband who was on his way to the courtyard where the argument was going on.  Minakshi turned towards her father-in-law, "Papa, I never meant to say any such thing.  I just replied to Mummy."  He just looked at them, sat in a chair and continued with newspaper reading.  But the mother-in-law continued cribbing, "Now, he won't even reply.  Did I give birth to a son, reared and educated him, and got him married only to hear such things from my daughter-in-law? Is there no respect for elders?" saying this she started sobbing.

Suddenly, Bharat entered the courtyard and questioned his mother, "what's happening?" to which she replied, "why don't you ask this to your dear wife, why me?" He almost pulled Minakshi into the bedroom.  "What's this Minakshi? It has become an almost daily affair."  "What have I done Bharat, your mom started the argument.  I haven't done anything.  Isn't she aware I have no brothers or sisters and I'm the only child of my parents?," said she sobbingly.  "Agreed, agreed, but after all they are my parents and we must respect them.  I owe my life to them."  "Okay... so when did I disrespect them? How can you say I disrespected them? It's not necessary that the way we talk is liked by everyone.  Moreover, all the sacrifices done by them were for you not for me.  If they expect respect from me, they in turn should respect me too." saying this Minakshi walked out of the room with purse in her hand.  "Now where are you going?" Bharat asked.  "To return the favors and sacrifices done by my parents for me."

(Translated from Hindi short story by another author)




No comments:

Post a Comment